Friday, June 6, 2008

Back to Work

As some of you may know, I have recently re-entered the workforce. About 3 weeks ago, I received a call from Caterpillar, asking if I would be interested in a part-time temporary position with Legal Services. (I worked in Legal Services for almost 2 years before Trey was born and left on good terms.) I interviewed for the job and was offered the position. I started work less than 2 weeks after I got the call.

I reported for Orientation Monday morning, bright and early. (Like, 7:30am... UGH!) When I walked in the entryway, there were several people waiting ahead of me to check in. Once I checked in and was sent down the hallway to the waiting area, I noticed that a few people ahead of me weren't in that room, but I didn't think much of it. After waiting for over half an hour, someone came and collected all of us who were waiting for orientation. She took us up to a room and told us to find our names at a seat. My name wasn't there. Turns out that was the full-time management orientation, and I was supposed to be at the part-time orientation that had started half an hour earlier. I guess they came and got the part-time people after the girls ahead of me checked in but before I got down to the waiting area. Great. Just great. I did get there in time to have my badge photo taken and to sit through Prohibited Harassment Awareness Training. Yippeee.

The next day I reported to work. Again, I was on time! My boss had told me to just come to our building and he'd meet me and take me upstairs. Only there were no security guards in the lobby of that building to let me in. So I reported to the next building over. But they wouldn't let me into the building, because no one had called to let them know to expect me. So on my first day of work, I was locked out of the building. They wouldn't even let me into the lobby where the chairs are. I was stuck in a glass foyer, or out on the sidewalk. My boss wasn't answering his phone. His assistant wasn't answering her phone. The Paralegal Manager wasn't answering her phone. I was out of ideas. So I called my good friend A, who came down to rescue me. But by the time she made it, I was in tears and the security guard was about to have a nervous breakdown. I just wanted to report for work. I was in the computer system. I had my badge identification number. I could show proof of my identity. But I couldn't get in the building. I was pretty frustrated.

After picking up my badge (so that I could enter and exit at my leisure), I got settled at my desk. The first project I was given was to make up file folders. I had about 60 folders to make, and each one required about 10 stickers. About 50 folders into the project, I realized that they had given me the wrong folders. No, I'm not kidding...

The next day, I got out the door, but I was running behind and was more than a little harried. About halfway to dropping off the Boy with his sitter, I realized I had left my badge at home. Without my badge, I wouldn't be able to get into the parking lot or the building. I don't think I could have handled that again. So I dropped him off and turned around for home. When I pulled into the driveway, I saw that I had left the front door of the house wide open. Really, its a good thing I had to come back, right?

I had serious thoughts about hanging up my hat after the first week... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment